Many Americans tend to suffer tooth loss during their adult lives. Typically, if the tooth is in a portion of the mouth that no one will see, most people won’t find a tooth replacement. However, regardless of location, a missing tooth can lead to number of oral issues, including more tooth loss. In the following blog, Dr. Erika Peddicord, your Ankeny, IA dentist, explains the importance of tooth replacements—specifically dental implants.
Dental Implants Can Improve Your Smile in the Following Ways
- Mimic natural teeth. Unlike dentures, dental implants have tooth roots, of sorts. The actual implant is a titanium post placed within the jaw bone. This creates a solid restoration that won’t shift or fall out during use. Plus, the porcelain crown gives the implant a real-feel and look.
- Durability. Once the dental implant is in place, and depending on at-home care, an implant can last over 20 years. Other tooth replacement options only last ten years, at best, before they require replacement.
- Worry-free smiles. Dentures tend to use adhesives and they’re prone to falling out. Furthermore, dentures require repeat dental visits for readjustments once the rubber has stretched. With a dental implant, you have the freedom to do anything with your teeth—just like with natural teeth.
- Healthier bones. When patients have missing teeth, their jaw bones eventually begin to deteriorate. The lack of stimulation from missing tooth roots causes bone loss, which makes your other teeth more susceptible to falling out. Though some type of tooth replacement option is better than none, a dental implant is one of the best solutions.
- Maintain your facial shape. Oftentimes, patients with missing teeth have a sunken-in look on their faces. To avoid this change to your appearance, your Ankeny, IA dentist recommends having a solid tooth replacement like a dental implant.
Peddicord Family Dentist Offers Superior Dental Implant Procedures
If you’re considering having receiving a dental implant procedure, consult your Ankeny, IA dentist. Dr. Peddicord can speak with you about the process and answer any questions you may have. To schedule an appointment, call us at (515) 963-3339. Also, visit our website for patient forms, oral care tips, and to learn about our team. We happily serve new and existing patients in Bondurant, Polk City, Elkhart, Alleman, and Cambridge, and neighboring areas.